Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Writer's Prerogative: Tenses

While I was writing today's story, I kept noticing that I was shifting tenses. I was going from past to present and back again. For the most part, I didn't fix it. I didn't fix it because it wasn't broken. It wasn't wrong.

When I write stories, I often switch tenses throughout the story. It's not a mistake, it's a choice. A lot of the time in my life, I drift off from where I am right now and remember things that just happened; I think about the things that led up to where I am. So in my head, I shift tenses. And I do so seamlessly. I like to think I do the same in the stories themselves.


Since it's intentional, and since it's my prerogative to make such stylistic choices, I've decided to give it a name. I'm inventing a new tense. That's right. No longer will we be shackled with Past, Present, and Future (and future imperfect, past participle, etc...). Because from now on we will have Prast. Or Presast. I like the idea of something that doesn't combine the two tenses, but the truth is that what I'm talking about IS a combination of past and present. A combination of present and future would be something else (fresent? presture?), as would a combination of past and future (pasture. hehe).

I'm going with Prast. Some of my stories are in Prast tense. Yeah, that sounds right.

So it is written, so shall it be done. Now enjoy the stories, and make some requests. Let Prast live on. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment